As a SXSW virgin, I knew I’d be in for a learning experience. Here are my top 5 things NOT to do to survive and thrive at Southby.. and also to not look like this is your first rodeo. Without further delay, DON’T:
1. Decide to give up alcohol or coffee Lent. This would be detrimental to both your fun and function levels. Don’t even think about it. After all, who networks over bottled water?
2. Wear heels at Stubbs. This will only be funny to those of you who knows what Stubbs is. For those of you who don’t, I’ll enlighten you. It’s a massive open-air concert venue/BBQ place with uneven dirt ground and no dress code. I wore wedges and looked like a dumb chick from LA. Don’t do it.
3. Get Naked on 6th Street. No one wants to play that “I can’t look but I can’t-not look” game with you pal. Save us the temptation..and subsequent grimace.
4. Go to Screenburn. Just don’t. Things get weird over there.
5. Get too rowdy. I mean do… but make sure you can rally and recuperate in order to do it all over again… and again…My routine worked like a charm so if yours does too, stick with it.
6. NOT Take Emergen-C before bed…. or in your vodka drink. Seriously, it works.